Healing Fibromyalgia patients with Osteopathic Medicine, as a Fibromyalgia Alternative Therapy, is largely dependent on the patient’s level of strength (immune system); the condition took years to develop so it requires time to resolve. Most conditions of fibromyalgia will improve with osteopathic medicine, but all cases cannot be cured. Some patients with chronic problems have their symptoms go away in several visits, although it is unrealistic to expect most patients with FIBROMYALGIA to respond to osteopathic medicine this way.
A recent study of patients being treated with Osteopathic Medicine as a fibromyalgia alternative therapy showed a 14% reduction in tender point and overall pain symptoms. Some patients need medicine, but most importantly recovery is dependent on diet, exercise, lifestyles changes, nutritional supplements, and different forms of fibromyalgia alternative therapy as a treatment regimen.
What Conditions Do Osteopaths Treat?
Patients see an Osteopathic Medicine Physician, or DO, for almost any condition, but a visit may be especially appropriate for musculoskeletal disorders such as:
carpal tunnel syndrome
DO’s are usually trained in OMT, Osteopathic Manual Techniques used primarily for diagnosing and treating musculoskeletal problems. While OMT is generally used for musculoskeletal problems, it is also used to relieve other conditions including:
Facts About Osteopathic Medicine For Fibromyalgia Patients
1. Although Osteopathic Medicine started out as a drug-free approach to the practice of medicine, the vast majority of Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine will prescribe medication as needed.
2. By combining all other medical procedures with Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment (OMT), Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) offer their patients comprehensive care because they are taught to treat the whole person, rather than just a single condition.
3. According to the American Osteopathic Association, there were 49,210 Osteopaths practicing in the US in 2002.
4. Andrew Taylor Still, M.D., the father of Osteopathic Medicine, developed Osteopathy in 1874 after becoming disillusioned with how medicine was being practiced. He wanted to reform the practice of medicine but ended up developing a new branch which is now prescribing
5. Various lifestyle factors during the fibromyalgia diagnosis and/or treatment such as stress
and posture may be addressed for those seeking the care of Osteopathic Medicine for fibromyalgia pain.
In the next section we will explore Fibromyalgia and Osteopathic Treatment.